When is the deadline for applications?

There are no deadlines for the receipt of applications, however, we would recommend submitting an application as soon as possible as we are not always able to accommodate late enrolment requests.

Can my daughter apply for Year 12 entry?

Our last entry point is at the beginning of Year 11 (if a place is available), although we do prefer students to enter in Year 10 or below and only in exceptional circumstances do we offer places at the commencement of Year 11.

Our preferred entry points for Senior School are Years 7, 9 or 10.  While a small number of students do enter at Year 11 level, experience shows that those who commence at Year 9 or 10 benefit enormously, both academically and socially, from the earlier transition.  This extra time is valuable in consolidating and strengthening study skills in the Australian system before girls commence the two-year VCE or IB courses.  

Subject choice for Year 11 is made by mid-Year 10 level and the girls already in the school have the advantage of having developed a good understanding of the subjects available to them.  Some Year 10 students choose to also study a Year 11 subject, thus making their workload in Year 11 or 12 slightly lighter.  Adjustment to a new school, a new country and a new way of life as a boarding student, as well as making new friends, takes considerable time and effort.  

What is the difference between an overseas student and an international student?

An Overseas Student is a student who has been studying overseas but has an Australian visa or Citizenship, allowing them to study in Australia.  An International Student is a student who is currently living and studying overseas and who does not have an Australian visa.  An International Student will be issued with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and will need to lodge a visa application online with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

My older daughter is already at PLC, so will there be a discount for her younger sister?

Yes.  PLC offers a 10% sibling discount on the basic annual tuition fee to a student while her older sister is enrolled at the College.  This discount is not offered to a family in conjunction with any other fee concession.

When should my daughter sit the AEAS assessment?

Where girls have been studying in a school outside Australia, an application must also be supported by an interview and assessment with Australian Education Assessment Services (AEAS).  AEAS has associates in various countries and their contact details are available at:  www.aeas.com.au   Assessments should be taken in February/March of the year prior to entry, as they are valid for up to 12 months.  A reassessment can only be taken after 3 months.

What is the AEAS pass score?

There is no pass score for the AEAS assessment. Scores show whether students are below average, average or above average – against students in the same year level.  The AEAS test is an assessment of student’s actual abilities in:  English proficiency; mathematical reasoning; general ability.

AEAS test results are available seven working days after the test date and these, together with the essay which is part of the assessment and also the latest school report, are reviewed at PLC.

What is ELICOS?

ELICOS (English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students) is designed to teach the English language skills required for an Australian school.  When a student has been taught in a non-English speaking school, it is likely that they will be required to undertake ELICOS, at a language centre in Melbourne, prior to attending PLC.

Which English language centres do you recommend?

For students requiring boarding, we recommend Avalon College.  For students with accommodation in Melbourne, we suggest Hawthorn Language Centre and Melbourne Language Centre.

Do I need to arrange OSHC for my daughter?

For International Students, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is required for the full length of the student visa and we can arrange this with Medibank with the cost charged to your account.   
For overseas or local students, you will need to arrange your own medical insurance cover.  To do this, take your passport and a letter confirming your PLC enrolment to a local Medicare office.  You might also consider private health insurance to cover you for hospital and the other expenses which Medicare does not cover.  

Can international students apply for a scholarship?

International Students are classed as Full Fee Paying and are therefore not eligible to apply for an entry scholarship.

Can my daughter live with a family friend while she is studying at PLC?

All students must either live with a close direct adult relative (in Melbourne) or in the PLC Boarding House. The close direct adult relative must speak English and be at least 23 years of age.

My daughter will live in the Boarding House. Will she need to bring her own bedding?

Sheets, pillows, pillow slips, towels and woollen blankets are supplied and laundered by the Boarding House. Students do need to provide their own doonas (quilts) and doona covers.  

A Boarding Handbook is provided prior to entry and lists what items a boarder should bring.

Can my daughter leave the Boarding House early to catch a flight home?

You must arrange any holidays or flights home in advance to make sure that your daughter will not miss any classes at the start or end of term.  This may mean flying home the day after school finishes, in which case, the parent or guardian is responsible for arranging transport to and from the airport and for accommodation if the Boarding House is closed.  

Why does my daughter need a guardian when she lives in the Boarding House?

All students who are not living with one or both parents are required to have a Melbourne-based guardian appointed by their parents before a place is offered.  We can provide details of professional guardian companies for you to contact, if you do not have a suitable person in mind. 

Guardians must meet specific criteria and agree to particular responsibilities prior to being accepted.  Full details will be sent to parents and guardians during the enrolment process.

Does my guardian need to have a valid WWCC?

The Australian Government requires that all guardians possess a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) card.  If you do not have a valid WWCC, you can complete an application online at: http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/workingwithchildren then finalise your application at a participating Australia Post retail outlet, by presenting your Application summary, proof of identity documents and a passport quality photo.

If the guardian is closely related to the student, they will not need a WWCC. Closely related to a child means: parent, including de facto or step-parent; mother- or father-in-law; grandparent; aunt or uncle; brother, sister, half- or step-sibling, or brother-or sister-in-law; spouse or domestic partner.